Clacton Town was founded on October 27th 1892 and our first match a friendly was played on December 2nd away to Colchester Crusaders losing 4 Â· l. The Clubs first match In an affiliated competition came In season 1894 losing 4 - 0 away to Halstead In the Essex Junior Cup.
In 1895-96 the Club joined the N. E. Essex League and won the Division 2 Championship in 1898-99 and 1899. That season the Club also won the Essex Junior Cup beating Barking Institute 3 - 1 in a final replay after a 0 - 0 draw. Included in Towns line-up for that match was Vivian John Woodward who later went onto play for Tottenham Chelsea & England.
At the end of the 1900-O1 season owing to financial problems the Club was placed in a state of suspended animation. In 1902 with (Clacton Town still not operational many of the Clubs former players founded their own team: Old Clactonians. They played for 2 seasons under this auspice before changing their name to Clacton Town F.C. at their 1905 A.G.M. The Old Clactonians played at The Great Clacton enclosure . This ground was again used for season 1905-06 in which the Club were runners-up In the Clacton & District League. However at the Clubs 1906 A.G.M. Clacton Cricket Club offered them the use of their ground at Old Road during the winter months. The offer was accepted and Old Road formed Clacton's base tor the next 80 years:
In 1906-07 Clacton competed In the Harwich & District League finishing runners-up to Parkeston Rovers. 1907 08 saw Clacton competing in both the Harwich League & Division 2 of the S. E. Anglian League winning the latter League title. In both 1908-09 & 1909-10 Clacton again competed in 2 Leagues: The S. E. Anglian and Division 2 of the Colchester & District League in 1909 the Club were runners-up in the Colchester League but in 1910 won the title along with the Division 2 League Cup.
In 1911 -12, Clacton became founder members of the Essex & Suffolk Border League. However at the end of that season they again folded as a result of financial difficulties. In June 1913 a new Club was formed with Mr. Robert W. Coan after whom the Clacton & District Hospital Charity Cup which Clacton would win 9 times between 1921 & 1958 was named as President. From seasons 1913-14 to 1934-35 the Club competed in either the Border League or the Ipswich & District League or a combination of both. During this period the Club won the Pearson Charity Cup in 1920 and 1929 & were runners-up in the Border League in 1924-25 and again in 1932-33 and in 1934 won the Worthington Evans Trophy for the first time.
In 1935 Clacton became founder members of the Eastern Counties League. However despite finishing runners up in 1936-37, at the end of that season, along with other Senior Essex sides, formed the Essex County League. This League only survived the one season and 1938-39 saw Clacton back in the Eastern Counties League.
In season 1947-48 Clacton opted to become a Professional Club. The Clubs record home attendance was set on September 27th 1952 when 3505 people packed Old Road for an F.A. Cup tie v Romford. 1952-53 also saw Clacton reach the final of the Essex Professional Cup for the first time but losing 1 - 0 to Southend United. In 1953-54 Clacton were runners-up in the Eastern Counties League for the second time behind Kings Lynn.
The same year the Club won the Harwich Charity Cup for the first time beating Harwich & Parkeston 1 - 0 in the final. The Club retained the Cup the following year beating Harwich & Parkeston 3 - 0 in the final and shared the Cup in 1955-56 after drawing with Harwich & Parkeston in the final. In 1955-56 the Club reached the final of the East Anglian Cup but lost 2-1 to Romford. However the following season the Club again reached the final this time they were victorious defeating Midlands League side King's Lynn 3 - l. The same season the Reserves also won the Worthington Evans Cup beating Crittall 3 - l. In 1958 the Club left the E.C.L. to join the Southern League. In 1959-60 they won the Division One title establishing a new record by heading the League throughout the season. One year later Clacton went on to reach the First Round Proper of the F. A. Cup but lost at home 3 - 1 to Southend United.
1962-63 saw the Club relegated from the Premier Division and one season later due to financial problems arising from poor support the Club withdrew from the Southern League returning to the E.C.L. In 1964-55 they finished runners-up behind Lowestoft. In 1967-68 Clacton gained their third success in the Worthington Evans Cup competition beating Halstead 4-0 in the final. In 1968-69 the Club reached the final of the E.C. League. Cup but lost 8-7 on aggregate to Lowestoft. That season saw Ron Cooledge set a new Club record of 51 goals in a season. One year later the Club reached the final of the Essex Professional Cup losing 5 - 4 on aggregate to Chelmsford.
In 1972 to ensure their continued survival, Clacton reverted to Amateur status. In 1973-74 under the guidance of player manager Roy Massey, Clacton won the League Cup for the first time beating Wisbech 4 - 3 on aggregate. That season the Club also reached the 1st Round Proper of the F.A. Amateur Cup for the first time losing 2 -1 to Horsham but won the Reynolds Cup which had been donated by Clacton's then Chairman (the very popular Mr. C.J. Reynolds without whose backing and support the Club could not have survived the 1950s or 1960s). The following season the Club finished runners-up in the League behind Sudbury but won the Worthington Evans Cup for the fourth time beating Braintree 1 - 0 in the flnal. In I980-81 the Club again reached the final of the League Cup but lost 5 - 1 to Great Yarmouth.
In 1987 the Club were obliged to move from their base at Old Road after the Coun
Council sold the ground tor development After playing matches at either Gainsford Avenue or The Royal Oak Harwich, the Club played the first match at the new ground: The Rush Green Bowl on November 7th 1987 with Soham Town providing the opposition. Unfortunately, floodlight failure resulted in the game not being completed and thus Sudbury Town provided the first full match some 3 days later.
1988-89 saw the Club compete in the Knight Floodlight League for the first time and also achieve success off the field when Rush Green Review was voted runner up in the Wirral Non-League Programme Club competition This achievement was repeated in 1989-90. 1990-91 saw Dean Jeffries set up a new individual club record scoring all six goals home to Great Yarmouth.
In 1997/98 - Clacton were relegated to the Jewson Division 1 after a poor season.
In May 1998 - A local Business Man purchased the Club for an undisclosed sum and invested heavily in the players, the Club House, the Ground and State of the Art technology. This resulted in the Club attracting quality Clacton players back to the Club. His aim was to return to the the Jewson Premiership at the first attempt. This we did and also won the newly introduced Jewson Division 1 Cup.
Clacton also reached the Semi-Final of the Jewson League Cup, The Essex Senior Cup, and reached the last 32 of the F.A. Vase. Attendances increased to an average of over 300 per game and success had found its way back to Clacton.
In June 1999 - Ex Colchester & Wrexham player, Steve Dowman was appointed as Manager to achieve a top 4 spot in the Premier. Ex Gas Recreation Manager Mike Potter was appointed as assistant. Clacton had a poor run in the F.A. Cup and Vase, but again reached the Semi-final of the Essex Senior Cup and again played host to the same team as the previous year - Canvey Island. We lost the game 3 - 0 (exactly as the previous year) to a huge budget Canvey in a very entertaining game.
In the same season, we achieved our task of finishing 4th in the Jewson Premier (the highest position Clacton had reached in their history of the Jewson), and went on to Win the East Anglian Cup for the first time since 1957, beating various teams including Wivenhoe, Diss and Ryman Div 1 Harlow in the Final 3 - 1.
Clacton Town also built a New Stand (covered accommodation) holding a further 300 spectators with the aid of an F.A. Grant.
During the Closed season 2000 / 2001, the Club attracted some lucrative new sponsors, who assisted in the building of a new plush Hospitality & Directors suite, Club Shop and Kitchens. All works were completed in just 8 weeks.
In Season 2000/2001, Clacton suffered a poor start to the season with incredible injuries from the start until November 2000. Poor results brought an end to Manager Steve Dowmanâs reign and Assistant Mick Potter took the position of Manager. He attracted new players to the Club and enjoyed a great run of 5 months unbeaten in the League
Clacton Town Football Club, The Rush Green Bowl, Rush Green Road, Clacton-on-Sea, Essex, CO16 7BQ
Tel: (01255) 432590 Fax: (01255) 432590